American History to 1877
Selected Call Numbers
Call numbers are the shelving locations for each item. Browsing in the following areas of the library will help you find materials for your topic.
|Colonial history (1607-1775)||E 186-199|
|French and Indian War, 1755-1763||E 199|
|The Revolution, 1775-1783||E 201-298|
|1775-1789. The Confederation, 1783-1789||E 303-309|
|1789-1809. Constitutional period||E 310-337|
|Jefferson's administrations, 1801-1809||E 331-337|
|War of 1812||E351.5-364.9|
|Mexican War, 1846-1848||E401-415.2|
|Civil War period, 1861-1865||E456-655|
|Confederate States of America||E482-489|
|Purchase of Alaska, 1867||E669|
|Grant's administrations, 1869-1877||E671-680|
Selected Subject Headings
Subject headings are selected terms to represent a topic. Searching subject headings in the library catalog will bring the most complete list of results. Below are some example subject headings. More subject headings can be located in the red books at the reference desk.
- United States--History--1600-1775, Colonial period.
- United States--History--1775-1783, Revolution.
- United States--History--1783-1815--Maps.
- United States--History--1783-1865--Sources.
- United States--History--1809-1817.
- United States--History--1861-1865, Civil War.
- American Revolution (1775-1783)
- War of 1812.
- Louisiana Purchase.
- Whiskey Rebellion, Pa., 1794.
- Boston Massacre, 1770.
- Bacon's Rebellion, 1676.
- French and Indian War (United States : 1754-1763)
- Boston Tea Party, Boston, Mass., 1773
- Bon Homme Richard (Ship)
- Manifest Destiny.
- Mason-Dixon Line
- Confederate States of America.
- Pilgrims and pilgrimages--United States.
- Great Awakening.
- Alien and Sedition laws, 1798
- Monroe doctrine.
- Industrial revolution--United States.
- Emancipation proclamation.
Selected Materials at the Von Canon Library
Below are some selected materials in the library with their shelving locations. Browsing in the listed areas of the library will help you find more materials for your topic.
|Enslaved women in America : from colonial times to Emancipation||E 443 .W47 2017|
|An empire on the edge : how Britain came to fight America||E 210 .B94 2015|
|The witches : Salem, 1692||KFM 2478.8 .W5 S35 2015|
|American antislavery writings : colonial beginnings to Emancipation||E 446 .A48 2012|
|Abolition : a history of slavery and antislavery||HT 861 .D74 2009|
|Founding mothers : the women who raised our nation||E 176 .R63 2004|
|American Revolution : the definitive encyclopedia and document collection||E 208 .A44 2018|
|Spies, patriots, and traitors : American intelligence in the Revolutionary War||E 279 .D35 2014|
|The Whiskey Rebellion : frontier epilogue to the American Revolution||E 315 .S59|
|Bills, quills, and stills : an annotated, illustrated, and illuminated history of the Bill of Rights||KF 4750 .M39 2014|
|Defending the old dominion : Virginia and its militia in the war of 1812||E 359.5 .V8 B88 2015|
|Jefferson's great gamble : the remarkable story of Jefferson, Napoleon and the men behind the Louisiana Purchase||E 333 .C465 2003|
|Reconstruction : a concise history||E 668 .G89 2018|
|Early American Cartographies||eBook|
|The Elusive West and the Contest for Empire, 1713-1763||eBook|
|Boy Soldiers of the American Revolution||eBook|
|Daily Life During the American Revolution||eBook|
|The Louisiana Purchase and the Exploration, Early History and Building of the West||eBook|
|Privateering : Patriots and Profits in the War of 1812||eBook|
|Dividing the Union : Jesse Burgess Thomas and the Making of the Missouri Compromise||eBook|
|Recollections of the War with Mexico||eBook|
|Princes of Cotton : Four Diaries of Young Men in the South, 1848-1860||eBook|
|Schliemann and the California Gold Rush : The 1850-1852 American Travel Journal of Heinrich Schliemann: a Transcription and Translation||eBook|
|Theater of a Separate War : The Civil War West of the Mississippi River, 1861–1865||eBook|
|Seward's Folly : A New Look at the Alaska Purchase||eBook|
|The Civil War and Reconstruction in Indian Territory||eBook|
Selected Research Databases
The following databases are specifically useful for your topic. You can search them individually on the databases page.
- Academic Search Complete
- America: History and Life
- Civil War: Antebellum to Reconstruction
- Credo Reference
- Defining Documents in American History
- European Views of the Americas: 1493 to 1750
- Humanities International Complete
- MasterFILE Premier
- Military & Government Collection
- Richmond Daily Dispatch
Selected Journals and Magazines
The following journals supply articles to the library’s databases. YOu can see if a specific journal supplies articles to our databases by searching the journal title on the library journal page.
- Early American Studies
- Journal of American History
- Journal of African-American History
- Chinese America: History and Perspectives
- Wicazo Sa Review
- American Jewish History
- American 19th Century History
- American Indian Quarterly
- Civil War History
- Journal of the American Revolution
- Journal of History and Culture
- Columbia Journal of American Studies
- New England Quarterly
Selected Websites and Digital Archives
The following websites are librarian-evaluated to provide trustworthy information for your topic. They include digitized collections connected to your topic.
- Library of Congress Digital Collections American History
- National Archives Resources on American History
- National Archives 19th Century Photograph Collection
- Toward Racial Equality Harper's Weekly
- Born in Slavery: Slave Narratives from the Federal Writers' Project, 1936 to 1938
- Slaves and the Courts 1740-1860
- The Freedman's Bureau Online
- Smithsonian Online Virtual Archives American History
- American Journeys: Eyewitness Accounts of Early American Accounts of Exploration and Settlement
- Charting America
- Early Americas Digital Archive
- Alexander Hamilton Papers
- Benjamin Franklin Papers
- Dolley Madison Digital Edition
- Correspondence between John and Abigail Adams
- Civil War Glass Negatives and Related Prints
- The Valley of the Shadow Two Communities in the American Civil War
- Journals of the Lewis and Clark Expedition