Inter-library loan services make it possible for students, faculty and staff to use almost any book or article they need for scholarly research.
How to Submit an Inter-Library Loan Request:
Southern Virginia students and faculty have reciprocal borrowing privileges at Washington and Lee University and VMI. You may check the catalogs of these libraries and check books out from them. Another option to get an item not owned by the Southern Virginia library is the inter-library loan service. There are two ways for you to request an item through inter-library loan:
Requests may be submitted electronically by going to the WorldCat database on the library web page and searching for the material you want. Once you have found an item you would like to request, click on its title to access a Detailed Record. Under “Availability” click on the link “Borrow this item from another library (inter-library loan).” Fill out the required information and click “Submit.” A library staff member will process your request and contact you when the item arrives.
Requests may be submitted in person at the library by filling out an Inter-library Loan Request Form at the circulation desk.
Inter-Library Loan Policies:
- Inter-library loan services are only available for students, faculty and staff of Southern Virginia University for scholarly purposes. Community patrons should use the public library system for ILL requests.
- We do not borrow items for personal/pleasure reading.
- We do not borrow items that the library already owns, or any items required for current Southern Virginia University courses.
- We do not borrow items for patrons who have overdue materials or outstanding fines.
- The length of loan is determined by the lending library and may vary.
- Items may be recalled by the lending library if needed at that library.
If you have any questions or concerns, contact Randi Cline: (540) 261-4086.