American Religious History
Selected Call Numbers
Call numbers are the shelving locations for each item. Browsing in the following areas of the library will help you find materials for your topic.
|Histories and principles of religion American||BL 2500-2592|
|Classification of religions||BL 350-385|
|Religions in relation to one another||BL 410|
|Orthodox Eastern Church||BX 200-756|
|Catholic Church||BX 800-4795|
|Protestant Episcopal Church in the United States of America||BX 5800-5995|
|Lutheran churches||BX 8001-8080|
|Mormons. Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints||BX 8601-8695|
|Presbyterianism. Calvinistic Methodism||BX 8901-9225|
Selected Subject Headings
Subject headings are selected terms to represent a topic. Searching subject headings in the library catalog will bring the most complete list of results. Below are some example subject headings. More subject headings can be located in the red books at the reference desk.
- Religion--Study and teaching--United States.
- United States--Religion.
- United States--Religion--1901-1945.
- United States--Religion--Historiography.
- United States--Religious life and customs.
Selected Materials at the Von Canon Library
Below are some selected materials in the library with their shelving locations. Browsing in the listed areas of the library will help you find more materials for your topic.
|A reason for faith : navigating LDS doctrine and Church history||BX 8635.5 .R43 2016|
|A documentary history of religion in America||BL 2530 .U6 G38|
|A peculiar people : anti-Mormonism and the making of religion in nineteenth-century America||BX 8645 .F58 2012|
|World religions in America : an introduction||BL 2525 .W67 1994|
|Founding faith : providence, politics, and the birth of religious freedom in America||BL 640 .W35 2008|
|Religion in American life : a short history||BL 2525 .B88 2011|
|Preserving Ethnicity Through Religion in America : Korean Protestants and Indian Hindus Across Generation||e-Book|
|Religion in America Since 1945 : A History||e-Book|
|Muslims in America : A Short History||e-Book|
|Religion Enters the Academy : The Origins of the Scholarly Study of Religion in America||e-Book|
|Mormons in America||e-Book|
|The Protestant Voice in American Pluralism||e-Book|
|American Judaism : A History||e-Book|
|Encyclopedia of Women and Religion in North America||e-Book|
|The Universalist Movement in America, 1770-1880||e-Book|
|Then We'll Sing a New Song : African Influences on America's Religious Landscape||e-Book|
Selected Research Databases
Selected Journals and Magazines
The following journals supply articles to the library’s databases. YOu can see if a specific journal supplies articles to our databases by searching the journal title on the library journal page.
- The North Star: a journal of African-American religious history
- American Jewish Archives Journal
- First Things: A Monthly Journal of Religion and Public Life
- Journal of the American Academy of Religion
- Extension: Awakening the Mission Spirit in America
- History of religions
- Journal of Religion
- The Ensign (LDS Church)
Selected Websites and Digital Archives
The following websites are librarian-evaluated to provide trustworthy information for your topic. They include digitized collections connected to your topic.
- Religion and the Founding of the American Republic
- Digital Quaker Collection
- Religious Landscape Study
- The Association of Religion Data Archives
- The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
- Catholic Education Resource Center
- Southern Baptist Convention
- God in America: The Black Church
- Timeline: Faith in America
- History of Religious Liberty in America
- The Pluralism Project
- American Jewish Archives