Selected Call Numbers
Call numbers are the shelving locations for each item. Browsing in the following areas of the library will help you find materials for your topic.
|The Islamic World||DS 35.3-35.77|
|Arab Countries History||DS 37-39.2|
|Middle East. Southwestern Asia. Ancient Orient. Arab East. Near East||DS 41-66|
|Iraq (Assyria, Babylonia, Mesopotamia)||DS 67-79.9|
|Arabian Peninsula. Saudi Arabia||DS 201-248|
|Iran History||DS 270-318.85|
|Pakistan. Local history and description||DS 392-392.2|
Selected Subject Headings
Subject headings are selected terms to represent a topic. Searching subject headings in the library catalog will bring the most complete list of results. Below are some example subject headings. More subject headings can be located in the red books at the reference desk.
- Islamic architecture
- Islamic art and symbolism
- Asia, Central--Civilization--Islamic influences.
- Law--Islamic influences.
- Civilization, Arab
- Islamic Civilization
- Islamic countries--History.
- Islamic countries--Social conditions.
- Islamic education
- Islamic empire
- Islamic Fundamentalism -- Syria
- Islamic illumination of books and manuscripts.
- Islamic Law
- Islamic Literature
- Islamic marriage customs and rites.
- Islamic modernism -- Middle East
- Islamic music
- Islamic painting
- Islamic philosophy
- Islamic poetry, Arabic
- Islamic Religious Education
Selected Materials at the Von Canon Library
Below are some selected materials in the library with their shelving locations. Browsing in the listed areas of the library will help you find more materials for your topic.
|Islam : a thousand years of faith and power||BP 55 .B57 2002|
|Beyond jihad : the pacifist tradition in West African Islam||BP 64 .A38 S26 2016|
|No god but God : the origins, evolution, and future of Islam||BP 161.3 .A79 2005|
|The book of contemplation : Islam and the Crusades||DS 97.3 .U813 2008|
|Women and gender in Islam : historical roots of a modern debate||HQ 1784 .A67 1992|
|God has ninety-nine names : reporting from a militant Middle East||BP 63 .A4 M53625 1996|
|Islam : Its History, Teaching, and Practices||eBook|
|Islam in the 21st Century||eBook|
|Visual Culture in the Modern Middle East : Rhetoric of the Image||eBook|
|On Art in the Ancient Near East||eBook|
|The Urban Social History of the Middle East, 1750-1950||HT 147 .M53 U73 2008|
Selected Research Databases
The following databases are specifically useful for your topic. You can search them individually on the databases page.
- Academic Search Complete
- Bridgeman Art Library
- Credo Reference
- Encyclopedia of Religion
- Humanities International Complete
- MasterFILE Premier
- Military & Government Collection
- National Gallery Collection
- Proquest Dissertations and Theses Global
- Religion and Philosophy Collection
- Women and Social Movements, Scholars Edition
- Women’s Studies International
Selected Journals and Magazines
The following journals supply articles to the library’s databases. YOu can see if a specific journal supplies articles to our databases by searching the journal title on the library journal page.
- Contemporary Islam
- Journal of Islamic Studies
- The Muslim World: A Quarterly Review of History, Culture, Religions & the Christian Mission in Islamdom
- Anthropology of the Middle East
- Journal of Middle East Women's Studies
- Arabic and Middle Eastern Literatures
Selected Websites and Digital Archives
The following websites are librarian-evaluated to provide trustworthy information for your topic. They include digitized collections connected to your topic.