Race in America
Digital Open Education Resources
- Native Peoples of North America
- "White man bery unsartin": "Nigger haint got no friends, no how"; the blackest chapter in the history of the Republican Party; the men who robbed and combined to rob the freedmen of their hard earnings.
- The National Afro-American Council, organized 1898. A history of the organization, its objects, synopses of proceedings, constitution and by-laws, plan of organization, annual topics, etc.
- Colored Men and the Democratic Party: review of American History on this issue
- US History Theme 1: The New South and Western Development
- To Advance Their Opportunities: Federal Policies Toward African American Workers from World War I to the Civil Rights Act of 1964
- Slave Voyages
Websites and Digital Archives
The following websites are librarian-evaluated to provide trustworthy information for your topic. They include digitized collections connected to your topic.
- Black Firsts
- National Museum of African-American History and Culture
- Center for the Study of Racism, Social Justice & Health
- Anti-Defamation League
- Cherokee Nation History
- Urban Institute
- Center for American Progress
- Statue of Liberty - Ellis Island
- Archive of Immigrant Voices
- Virginia Memory Digital Collections
- Desegregation of Virginia Education
- A timeline of mixed-race marriage in Virginia
Subject headings are selected terms to represent a topic. Searching subject headings in the library catalog will bring the most complete list of results. Below are some example subject headings. More subject headings can be located in the red books at the reference desk.
- Racism--United States.
- Racism--United States--History--19th century.
- Miscegenation--United States.
- Compromise of 1850.
- Slavery--United States.
- Slavery--United States--History.
- Ku Klux Klan (1915- )
- Antisemitism--United States.
- Native Americans.
- Manifest Destiny.
- Trail of Tears, 1838-1839.
The following databases are specifically useful for your topic. You can search them individually on the databases page.
The following journals supply articles to the library’s databases. YOu can see if a specific journal supplies articles to our databases by searching the journal title on the library journal page.
- University of Maryland Law Journal of Race Religion Gender and Class
- Phylon (1940)
- American 19th Century History
- Afro-Americans in New York Life and History
- Patterns of Prejudice
- Patterns of Prejudice
- Journal of American Ethnic History
Print Materials at the Von Canon Library
Below are some selected materials in the library with their shelving locations. Browsing in the listed areas of the library will help you find more materials for your topic.
|Oxcart Catholicism on Fifth Avenue : the impact of the Puerto Rican migration upon the Archdiocese of New York||BX 1417 .N4 D53 1993|
|Forgotten dead : mob violence against Mexicans in the United States, 1848-1928||E 184 .M5 C3675 2013|
|The land of open graves : living and dying on the migrant trail||JV 6475 .D4 2015|
|Immigrant struggles, immigrant gifts||JV 6465 .I466 2012|
|The Filth of Progress Immigrants, Americans, and the Building of Canals and Railroads in the West.||HD 8039 .C2582 U62 2015|
|Killers of the Flower Moon : the Osage murders and the birth of the FBI||E 99 .O8 G675 2017|
|American Indian Women||E 98 .W8 D4813 2015|
|Becoming Melungeon : making an ethnic identity in the Appalachian South||E 184 .M44 S37 2013 also eBook|
|Native American issues : a reference handbook||E 98 .T77 T56 1996|
|Ethnicity and Criminal Justice in the Era of Mass Incarceration : A Critical Reader on the Latino Experience||eBook|
|Debating Race, Ethnicity, and Latino Identity : Jorge J. E. Gracia and His Critics||eBook|
|Puerto Rican Citizen : History and Political Identity in Twentieth-Century New York City||eBook|
|Belonging to Puerto Rico and America : New York Puerto Rican Children's Developing Conceptualization of Their Own Cultural Group||eBook|
|Building a Latino Civil Rights Movement : Puerto Ricans, African Americans, and the Pursuit of Racial Justice in New York City||eBook|
|Hatred in the Hallways: Violence and Discrimination against Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender Students in U.S. Schools||full text from ERIC with link|
|The Lesbian and Gay Movements : Assimilation or Liberation?||eBook|
|Southeast Asian Diaspora in the United States : Memories and Visions Yesterday, Today, and Tomorrow||eBook|
|The L Word||eBook|
|In Media Res : Race, Identity, and Pop Culture in the Twenty-First Century||eBook|
|Queer Media Images : LGBT Perspectives||eBook|
|Race, Rights, and the Asian American Experience||eBook|
|Asian Americans : Contemporary Trends and Issues||eBook|
|Asian America : Chinese and Japanese in the United States Since 1850||eBook|
|Irish Immigrants in New York City, 1945-1995||eBook|
|Who's Your Paddy? : Racial Expectations and the Struggle for Irish American Identity||eBook|
|The Complete Encyclopedia Of African American History||eBook|
|Jim Crow Wisdom : Memory and Identity in Black America Since 1940||eBook|
|Disintegration : the splintering of Black America||E 185.86 .R618 2010|
|Black Stats : African Americans by the Numbers in the Twenty-first Century||eBook|
|Eyes on the prize : America's civil rights years, 1954-1965||KF 4757 .W52 1987|
|Brown's battleground : students, segregationists, and the struggle for justice in Prince Edward county, Virginia||LC 214.22 .V8 T58 2011|