Websites and Digital Archives
The following websites are librarian-evaluated to provide trustworthy information for your topic. They include digitized collections connected to your topic.
Subject headings are selected terms to represent a topic. Searching subject headings in the library catalog will bring the most complete list of results. Below are some example subject headings. More subject headings can be located in the red books at the reference desk.
- English literature -- Women authors -- History and criticism
- Gaskell, Elizabeth Cleghorn, 1810-1865
- Levy, Andrea, 1956-2019
- Shelley, Mary Wollstonecraft, 1797-1851
- Smith, Zadie
- Wollstonecraft, Mary, 1759-1797
- Women and literature
- Women authors
- Women novelists
- Woolf, Virginia, 1882-1941
- Woolf, Virginia, 1882-1941 -- Criticism and interpretation
The following databases are specifically useful for your topic. You can search them individually on the databases page.
- Academic Search Complete
- Humanities International Complete
- Literature Resources from Gale
- Oxford Bibliographies Online
- Oxford English Dictionary
- Wiley Online Library
- Women’s Studies International
The following journals supply articles to the library’s databases. YOu can see if a specific journal supplies articles to our databases by searching the journal title on the library journal page.
- Eighteenth-century Women Writers and the Gentleman's Liberation Movement: Independence, War, Masculinity, and the Novel, 1778-1818 (British Literature in Context in the Long Eighteenth Century)
- Virginia Woolf
- Reading Virginia Woolf
- Sisters and the English Household: Domesticity and Women's Autonomy in Nineteenth-Century English Literature
- Virginia Woolf and the Victorians
- Women in Literature: Reading through the Lens of Gender
- Women’s Writing
Print Materials at the Von Canon Library
Below are some selected materials in the library with their shelving locations. Browsing in the listed areas of the library will help you find more materials for your topic.
|The Endurance of Frankenstein: essays on Mary Shelley's novel||PR 5397 .F73 E5 1979|
|Before Their Time: six women writers of the eighteenth century||PR 1134 .B4|
|The Bloomsbury Guide to Women's Literature||PN 471 .B57 1992|
|Venomous Woman: fear of the female in literature||PR 429 .W64 W66|
|Free women: ethics and aesthetics in twentieth-century women's fiction||PS 374 .W6 F85 1990|
|Black Women’s Writing||PN 841 .B57 1993|
|The Virginia Woolf Reader||PR 6045 .O72 A6 1984|